Wild Weekend

April 8, 2015 at 8:26 pm (Uncategorized) (, , , , , , )

So my long weekend at my Mom’s house was just as hectic as every other weekend I happen to go down there. Here’s a breakdown of how I spent those few days:

Thursday night:

  • Took a six-hour bus ride and was conveniently dropped off at the truck stop a mile from Mom’s house. She picked me up with pizza and everyone who had to get back on the bus to go to Louisville hated me.


  • Went and looked at a wedding venue – and by gods, I think it’ll work! Nothing is for sure yet but the price was right and they handle pretty much all the stress, which is basically all I wanted. There was also a swan that lives on the property and it was swimming in their parking lot due to some heavy flooding. They assured me if something like that happens they can pump the lot but I kind of liked watching that swan do its thing.
  • Made dinner for my grandparents (sweet potato soup) and had my grandma ask me what a lot lizard was because apparently a cousin called me that since my bus dropped me off in a truck stop. So that was a fun conversation with an 85-year-old lady.


  • Woke up at 7am to go watch my sister and her bf run a 10 mile race in Louisville. They finished with the healthy glow of people who accomplished a triumphant feat and I had the glow of someone who had been drinking coffee with Kahlua for way too long.
  • Stopped by the Dairy Queen I worked at through high school to pick up shakes for my grandparents and had to work very hard to keep my mouth shut because those darn kids weren’t stocking supplies like they should have been, plus they took way too long to take my order and give me my shakes. And they looked sloppy while doing it. Also the counter could have used a good scrub down. Kids these days!
  • Went back to my grandparent’s house and dyed two dozen Easter eggs because my grandma is convinced they taste better after being dyed. She kept them all for herself, by the way.

    I tried but I just couldn’t get my mind out of there!

  • Back at mom’s house, I cleaned all of the gutters (the hard way – I’m apparently too chicken shit to climb on the roof so I moved a ladder about four inches at a time all over the house and scooped out the muck by hand. Thankfully thick gloves were involved). I also did a bunch of other random yardwork because I’m her favorite daughter.
  • Fell asleep sitting up because the day plum tuckered me out.


  • Woke up early to go to Easter Mass with the family. Proceeded to make funny faces at small children in church and get scolded for making them laugh too loudly. Story of my life.
  • Back to mom’s house to dye eggs, peel eggs, make deviled eggs, make other food and prep for a family party.
  • Attend said family party and hide eggs, eat eggs and play with babies who once originated from eggs (see what I did there?)
  • Back to mom’s yet again, where I helped carry her Christmas tree down to the basement. Finally.


  • Up early yet again to eat a quick breakfast before the drive to Indianapolis where I hopped back on the bus. Upon arrival in Chicago, I grabbed a large coffee, went to the gym, tidied up the apartment and made dinner. Then to bed, completely and utterly exhausted but rather satisfied after such a good, productive visit!

And now? Working for the weekend once again. But at least this time there won’t be any gutters!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: